1409 Met Flight
1409 (Meteorological) Flight was formed on 1 April 1943 to provide meteorological information for RAF Bomber Command. Equipped with unarmed de Havilland Mosquito aircraft, the crews of the Flight undertook long range meteorological reconnaissance flights until the end of the Second World War in Europe and continued in this role until 1946.
Formed at RAF Oakington as part of the disbandment of 521 Squadron, the Flight was part of No. 8 Group RAF, the Pathfinders. Flying as single aircraft the missions were codenamed PAMPA (Photorecce And Meteorological Photography Aircraft).
In January 1944 the Flight moved to RAF Wyton where it remained until July 1945 when it moved to RAF Upwood. On the 9th of October 1945 the Flight was transferred to No. 47 Group Transport Command and partially re-equipped with Consolidated B-24 Liberator aircraft in addition to its Mosquitos at RAF Lyneham. The Flight was disbanded at Lyneham in May 1946.
RAF Oakington: 1 April 1943 – January 1944
RAF Wyton: January 1944 – 4 July 1945
RAF Upwood: 4 July 1945 – 10 October 1945
RAF Lyneham: 10 October 1945 – 13 May 1946
Losses while at Upwood
27th August 1945
Mosquito XVI NS733 C On a "Cooks Tour"
F/L A G Huges injured
F/O A R Wray injured
LAC J F Lloyd injured
Take off 10.35 from runway 06 at Upwood but swung from the runway after accelerating for 200 yards, lost its wheels and caught fire. All were taken to RAF Hospital Ely, where surgeons amputated one of LAC Lloyd's arms. Both the pilot and Navigator escaped with slight burns.